CONFERENCE CALL FOR PAPERS
The Centre for Contextual Ministry (University of Pretoria) and HospiVision presents:
2nd Biennial Conference on Spirituality and Healthcare: Wholeness in Healthcare
Where and when
Cape Town: 19-21 October 2016
Pretoria: 24-26 October 2016
Call for papers
The George Washington Institute for Spirituality and Health (GWish) was established in May 2001 as a leading organization on education and clinical issues related to spirituality and health. The director of GWish (Prof Christina Puchalski) was one of the editors of the Oxford Textbook on Spirituality in Healthcare1. In the preface Pellegrino observes: ‘Experienced clinicians have long known that true healing extends beyond the artful use of medical knowledge. They grasped intuitively that serious or fatal illness was an ontological assault, an existential assault on the whole of the patient’s lived world. To heal, the physician must recognize the starkness of the patient’s encounter with his own finitude, i.e. with his mortality and inherent limitations. Healing of the psychosocial-biological is of itself insufficient to repair existential disarray of the patient’s life without recognizing the spiritual origins of the disarray’ (Cobb et al. 2012)
It is against this background that this conference is presented as part of the Research Programme on Spirituality and Healthcare hosted at the Cluster for Healing and counselling of the Centre for Contextual Ministry at the University of Pretoria and coordinated by HospiVision.
Major themes to be addressed at the conference
- Spirituality and wholeness in healthcare
- Spirituality and healthcare in resource poor environments
- Ethical issues in spirituality and healthcare
- Spirituality in the life of the healthcare worker
- Children / Youth and spirituality in healthcare (3rd day of the conference)
We want to invite you to submit an abstract for a paper/ workshop at this conference.
Your proposal/abstract should include the following
1. Name, surname and affiliation
2. Contact information (Email and Telephone/cell)
3. Theme of the paper / workshop
4. Description of the articulation with the conference theme
5. A three hundred word abstract
6. Format for this presentation (e.g. paper to be read, workshop, panel discussion, etc.)
7. Please indicate whether you presentation will be only in Cape Town or Pretoria or at both cities
Please email your proposal/abstract to email@example.com
Closing date for abstracts 1 June 2016
The conference task team will evaluate proposal and their decision will be final.
1 Cobb, M.R., Puchalski, C.M., and Rumbold, B., 2012, Oxford Textbook on Spirituality in Health Care, Oxford University Press, New York.