We will use this page to post links to funding opportunities for scholars in the sociology of religion. We will pay particular attention to sources that are available on a regular basis.
We will post notices of irregular sources, one-time sources, and the like on our blog. (Click HERE to visit our blog.)
Funding from Scholarly Organizations focused on the Sociology of Religion
- Association for the Sociology of Religion (USA)
- Travel grants to attend their conferences, focused on scholars from outside North America
- Fichter Research Grants
- McNamara Student Paper Competition
- International Society for the Sociology of Religion / Société Internationale de Sociologie des Religions
- Travel grants to attend their conferences.
- Religious Research Association (USA)
- Jacquet Awards for applied research in the study of religious organizations. Typically about $15,000 per year to distribute, almost all in small grants (below $4,000).
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion (USA)
- Travel awards to attend their conferences, focused on scholars from outside North America.
- Jack Shand Research Awards. Typically small grants (up to $3000) for expenses only. Some years larger grants are available.
- Special awards for students, either for travel or for research(up to $3000). The latter allow some stipend.
- American Council of Learned Societies
Their website claims that: “The ACLS continues to be the leading private institution supporting scholars in the humanities and related social sciences at the doctoral and postdoctoral levels.” They distribute some $15 million in grants and awards each year.
- Alexander von Humbolt Foundation
(from their website): “aims at strengthening regional and interdisciplinary networking between the scientists and scholars sponsored by the foundation, at supporting worldwide contacts and at introducing young scientists to the work of the Humboldt Foundation and to research in Germany.”
“The program each year enables 500 young highly qualified scholars resident outside Germany who hold doctorates to carry out research projects of their own choice in Germany (age limit: 40 years). Submission Deadline: Anytime”