Assistant Professor Comparative Study of Religion (1.0 fte) (215139)
University of Groningen, the Netherlands
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies seeks to appoint an Assistant Professor (UD) in the comparative study of religion. The position will involve 50% teaching, 40% research and 10% administration. The position will be located within the Department of Comparative Study of Religion.
The candidate will contribute to the teaching programme (introductory and advanced) in the general study of religion, research methods, as well as in her/his area of specialization. International staff members will teach in English. Her/his research expertise should fit with the profile of the department
While we invite applications from scholars with various research interests, preference will be given to candidates with a research focus on religion and media or religion and culture in Asia.
The candidate should hold a PhD degree in religious studies, anthropology or sociology of religion, or related disciplines. Moreover, she/he has to demonstrate experience in or willingness to develop and gain experience in the following attributes:
- – a strong profile in teaching in the study of religion and qualitative research methods. Experience in teaching quantitative methods on an introductory level is appreciated
- – a strong commitment to teaching and willingness to contribute to the development of bachelor’s and master’s curricula, with demonstrated experience in the design of course modules and the supervision of bachelor’s and master’s theses
- – demonstrated success or capacity for success in the acquisition of research funding
- – a demonstrable interest in interdisciplinary cooperation
- – organizational competence, entrepreneurship and excellent communication skills.
Deadlines and procedures
You may apply for this position before 7 June 2015 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on “Apply” on the advertisement on the university website).
Job interviews will be held on 24 and 25 June. Shortlisted applicants will be notified before 10 June 2015 and will be expected to be in Groningen for both days of the interviews. Travel and accommodation will be arranged and reimbursed.
Date of entry into employment: 1 September 2015 or as soon as possible.
Interested candidates should submit a complete application composed of:
- a letter of motivation, addressing the above criteria
- a complete CV with a list of publications and with names and contact details for three referees
- a PDF of three self-selected “best papers”
- a brief description (maximum two pages) of scientific interests and plans.
Please send your application in PDF format and with all the credentials in separate attachments. Applications with missing credentials will not be taken into consideration.
For information you can contact: Dr Peter Berger, Head of Department CRS, firstname.lastname@example.org